The Mombasa youth assembly fisheries committee led by Hon Naima Twahir of Old Town ward visited the county fisheries committee on Tuesday 25th October at the county assembly buildings with an aim of discussing on the status of fishing industry in Mombasa county in a youthful perspective. The following were issues arose during the meeting
- 1. Work plan is already laid for research on fisheries and youth groups have been recruited from all parts by Mombasa County.
- 2. The committee needs time to respond to technical questions since they have just been separated from agriculture
- 3. M.Y.A will be involved in Fisheries Research and Development and what projects to be implemented.
- 4. There is a need to encourage youth to participate in fisheries activities and for them to join Beach Management Units (BMUs)
- 5. County Government issued Containers to every ward for fishing but the project has failed.
- 6. There are plans by the county government to issue to fishermen for deep sea fishing in November and all stakeholders will be involved.
- 7. Mombasa County so far has Trained 46 youth groups on fishing and have constructed 2 fishing vessels worth 15 Million each to be launched in November and given to BMUs.
The committee was informed that there were serious plans to revamp the fishing industry in Mombasa by the county government requested that we forward our findings to them early enough for considerations. The chair of the county assembly fisheries team promised to arrange a separate meeting with thee CEC Agriculture, livestock and fisheries, Hon Njaramba for further engagement